RSS

I currently live in Charlotte, NC and after spending 7 years as a personal chef and caterer, I am now happy to share my love of cooking with friends and family. My heart is in the kitchen, but my soul is in the stars!

Trader Joe's Copy Cat Recipe: Cranberry Walnut Tart



I'm always thrilled to see fresh cranberries hit the produce shelves just before Thanksgiving.  I load up on way too many bags of the tart red berries and squirrel them away in the freezer to enjoy year round.

Several years ago I fell in love with Trader Joe's Cranberry Walnut Tart but I never gave much thought to trying to replicate it in my own kitchen until last year, quite by accident.   I was tired and in a hurry to throw together a cranberry pecan pie for Thanksgiving last year when I realized that I didn't have any pecans on hand.  I threw in some walnuts and also in my hurried stupor, I forgot to add the sugar.  As the pie baked I convinced myself that it was ruined but as luck would have it, it turned out quite good.  I realized that with a few more tweaks, it could be a close copy cat of my beloved Trader Joe's tart.  

I'm all about things being easy with no fuss in the kitchen so most occasions I make this in a 9x13 baking dish and cut it into squares for serving.  I wanted it to have a little fancier presentation for my first Thanksgiving with Boy Toy and his family this year so I prepared it in a 9" spring form pan.  I lined the bottom of the pan with parchment paper before pressing the crust in and I also lined the sides of the pan prior to pouring in the cranberry filling.   It turned out beautifully and I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I ate way more than my fair share!





Cranberry Walnut Tart with Shortbread Crust
Serves 8

Crust:
1 cup butter, softened
½ cup confectioner’s sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
Tart:
2 cups chopped fresh cranberries
Zest of 2 medium oranges
1-1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3 eggs
1 cup dark corn syrup
1/3 cup sugar
¼ cup butter, melted

For the crust:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Stir together flour and baking powder; blend into butter mixture.  Pat into a 9x13 glass baking dish.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.  Cool slightly. 

For the tart: 
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Combine cranberries with orange zest in a small bowl; mix well.  Spoon onto top of prebaked crust.  Arrange walnuts on top of cranberry mixture and press down slightly.  Combine eggs, corn syrup, sugar and butter in a medium bowl; whisk until smooth.  Pour evenly over the walnuts.  Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until set.  Cool.  

   

Pin It
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

1 comments:

Terri said...

Oh my Alison, that looks wonderful!