RSS

I currently live in Charlotte, NC and after spending 7 years as a personal chef and caterer, I am now happy to share my love of cooking with friends and family. My heart is in the kitchen, but my soul is in the stars!

Keep it simple


I'm tired. 

Tired of handing over money for a long list of supplies for one recipe.

Tired of a pantry full of only-used-once ingredients.

Tired of spending precious time on a complicated recipe to only have it turn out just okay. 

Sick. And Tired.  

Time and time again I'm proven that simple and fresh is best when it comes to preparing food.  I'm always happiest when I can prepare a meal, enjoy it and clean the kitchen all in about an hour or so.  I no longer even consider trying a recipe if it has more than 10 ingredients and especially if I don't already have most of them in my pantry.  And forget about something that takes half the day to prepare and the other half of the day to clean up. 

Sometimes, though, I feel the need to prepare these types of things for the sake of this blog so I can show you something pretty and exciting.  But the pressure gets to me because I don't eat like that on a regular basis and I end up never making most of what I had planned because I don't have the time or the money.  And I'm pretty sure those of you out there don't necessarily eat like that either for the same reasons.  Throw in a few picky-eater children and we're all just looking for something really good, moderately healthy and really quick. 

I love this Cilantro Lime Shrimp recipe that I found on Pinterest (which seems to have become my new virtual cookbook).  It originated from a blog called Never Enough Time written by Lana Stuart and I plan to spend a bit more time perusing Lana's recipes.  Here's what she has to say about her style of recipes/cooking:

"For me, it’s essential to be authentic. I try to always remember that traditional southern cooking is humble food. For some of us it is a reminder of where and from whom we came. The simple, satisfying food that our farming ancestors provided for their families. Humble food graciously prepared and gratefully received by hard-working, families."

And I feel the same way.  If I want fancy shmancy I'll go to a nice restaurant and pay someone else to do the hard work.  In the meantime, I'm going to keep it simple!  You must try this recipe though, because it takes less than 30 minutes and combines simple ingredients that come together for a complex tasting dish.  I served this over rice and a green salad but probably would have preferred it tossed with pasta.  A good crusty bread is a MUST for soaking up all the juicy flavors. 

Cilantro Lime Shrimp
courtesy of Never Enough Time
Serves 2-3

Ingredients
  • 1 tblsp. butter
  • 1 tblsp. olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
  • ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
  • ½ tsp. Mexican oregano
  • 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 lime, zest and juice
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • ½ tsp. black pepper
  • 1 pound shrimp, split and deveined
  • 2 tblsp. chopped cilantro

Instructions
  1. Melt the butter and oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
  2. Add the garlic, onion and jalapeno.
  3. Cook, stirring until the onion begins to wilt, approximately 3 minutes.
  4. Add the red pepper flakes and oregano.
  5. Continue cooking until the onion becomes translucent, approximately 3 additional minutes.
  6. Add the tomatoes.
  7. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are soft.
  8. Add the shrimp, zest and lime juice, salt and black pepper.
  9. Cook until the shrimp are just opaque. Be careful not to overcook.
  10. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cilantro.

Pin It
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: