RSS

I currently live in Charlotte, NC and after spending 7 years as a personal chef and caterer, I am now happy to share my love of cooking with friends and family. My heart is in the kitchen, but my soul is in the stars!

Mushrooms. Yuck. Mushrooms with Alcohol. Yum.


Getting kids to eat fruits and vegetables that they don't like is always tricky business. You may try to cut the foods into minuscule pieces, hide them in with other foods they like, or resort to a reward system for eating the disliked items. I'm sure my mother probably tricked me into eating yucky foods when I was a kid, but she knew I was on to her when I'd leave nothing but peas and carrots in the bottom of my vegetable soup bowl.

These days, I do try to broaden my food horizons and try things that I haven't liked in the past because it is true that your tastes change over time. But there is one surefire way to get me to eat something previously thought as yucky ~ soak it in alcohol! 

I used to prepare this recipe for Chicken Breasts with Sherried Mushrooms in the catering kitchen and it was always a winner with clients, but I never cared for the texture of mushrooms myself.  I'm learning to like them, though, with Shiitakes being at the top of my list (and they would work well in this recipe) and button mushrooms needing quite a bit of seasoning and/or the addition of other items for me to fully enjoy.  I tried this recipe on a whim last week and was a total plate cleaner!  Even if you aren't a fan of 'shrooms either, I bet you'll love them after they're sauted in sherry wine and served atop a tender chicken breast. 

Chicken Breasts with Sherried Mushrooms
Serves 4

4 each chicken breast halves, butterflied and pounded
2 TBSP flour
kosher salt, as needed
freshly ground black pepper, as needed
3 TBSP vegetable oil, divided
2 cups fresh white mushrooms, sliced
2 TBSP shallot, finely chopped
1-1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup dry sherry, divided
1-1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 TBSP fresh parsley, chopped

Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish and dredge chicken until lightly coated. Heat 2 TBSP vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken and cook about 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside. Wipe skillet clean of drippings.

Add remaining 1 TBSP vegetable oil to pan and heat again over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and shallots, saute until tender, about 3 minutes.

Combine 1 TBSP sherry and cornstarch and set aside. Add remaining sherry and chicken broth to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook until sauce is reduced to about 1-1/2 cups. Add cornstarch mixture, cook, stirring constantly about 1 minute or until mixture is thickened.

Return chicken to pan, cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Transfer chicken to a serving platter, top evenly with mushroom mixture. Garnish with parsley.

Pin It
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: