RSS

I currently live in Charlotte, NC and after spending 7 years as a personal chef and caterer, I am now happy to share my love of cooking with friends and family. My heart is in the kitchen, but my soul is in the stars!

I found my way back to the kitchen!!

In looking back at my blog archives, I realize my little ole blog is almost a year old. When I started doing this, as with most of my hobbies, it was my desire to jump in full force and blog about some wonderful culinary creation that came out of my kitchen every day. Well, we all know that didn't happen! But I am pleased with myself for keeping up with it this long, sparse as my postings may have been. Although I spend most of my days and hours in a catering kitchen, I have assumed the roll of Alison, The Business Person and let the roll of Chef Alison fall by the wayside. The whole reason for starting this blog was to help myself find my inspiration to cook/create once again and although it has been slow coming and has not reached its full potential again, the desire is still there and is still waiting to break free of the chains that bind. Let's face it, we cater 2,500 meals a month for one customer alone and add to that at least 1 or 2 catered lunches each day and throw in a party or wedding for a couple of hundred each week and who in their right mind would want to even think about coming home to cook dinner after all that?! Honestly, there are times that I walk into my house and walk straight past the kitchen and never look back. I don't even want to eat!! But I digress....

With the change of seasons from a mild winter straight into 85 degree summer heat (where the heck did Spring go? Did I doze off and miss it?), I've actually had an appetite. Like most everyone else, I like quick and simple foods during the summer - things that don't require alot of time or create alot of heat in the kitchen and things that showcase fresh, seasonal veggies and fruits. I haven't had a chance to get to the farmer's market yet, but it is on my list of things to do. In the meantime, I want to share with you one of my favorite "quick and easy" fixes.....Greek Style Shrimp Scampi from the Complete Cooking Light book.



If there's ever been a recipe that makes me glad that I grow my own parsley, this is it. And if you've never tasted the difference between the home-grown stuff and the store-bought stuff, then run right out and plant some in your herb garden 'cause you won't believe the difference! The stuff that you buy is nothing but tasteless plate garnish, pure and simple. But the home-grown stuff, well...let's just say that I've been known to stand out in the yard and munch on a freshly plucked stem of parsley. After I prepped and plated this dinner, I really wanted more parsley to finish it off but it was pouring the rain and I had already been soaked once while walking the dogs and I didn't feel like dripping all over my dinner. I like to use 16-20 count peeled & deveined shrimp because I think they're the perfect size.

Enjoy!


* Exported from MasterCook *

Greek Style Scampi

Recipe By :Complete Cooking Light
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Seafood

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 teaspoon olive oil
5 cloves garlic -- minced
28 ounces diced tomato -- drained
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley -- divided
1 1/2 pounds large shrimp -- peeled and deveined
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
12 ounces pasta -- cooked

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic; saute 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and 1/4 cup parsley. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes. Add shrimp; cook 5 minutes. Pour shrimp mixture into a 13x9 baking dish; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup parsley, lemon juice, and pepper.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Pin It
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like a great recipe! Happy blogiversary to you!