RSS

I currently live in Charlotte, NC and after spending 7 years as a personal chef and caterer, I am now happy to share my love of cooking with friends and family. My heart is in the kitchen, but my soul is in the stars!

Sausage Risotto



The Italian dish of risotto is typically prepared by adding liquid, small amounts at a time, to rice and stirring almost constantly until the liquid is absorbed each time and more can be added. Ain’t nobody got time to be standing over a stove all day long.

And that’s why I like this recipe for Italian Sausage Risotto from Farmstand Chef. It only takes a few minutes for the wine to absorb and beyond that you can dump in all the stock and forget about it with the exception of a few stirs here and there.

I used hot pork breakfast sausage for this – I have it in the freezer from my Windy Hill Farms CSA and I’m not much of a sausage eater so I’m always trying to find creative ideas to use it. I also had pork stock in the freezer from some previous kitchen project involving pork. And speaking of things in my freezer – I’m not a red wine drinker either but anytime I entertain and have red wine for Boy Toy or friends, I pour any leftover wine (WHO has leftover wine??) into a container and freeze it for use in recipes. It never freezes solid so I can chip off as much as I need and thaw.

Serve this dish with a green salad and dinner can be ready in about 30 minutes. I love easy, simple and delicious recipes like this. It’s a man-pleaser too - Boy Toy loved it.

Italian Sausage Risotto
servings = 4-6

From Farmstead Chef

1 lb. Italian pork sausage (I used hot breakfast sausage)
1 cup onions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1-1/4 cup Arborio rice
½ cup red wine
3 cup chicken stock (I used pork stock)
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
Salt and pepper, to taste

Fry sausage in a large skillet, breaking it up into small pieces. When lightly browned (about 8-10 minutes), remove from pan and drain on paper towels.

To the same pan, add butter and onion and cook over medium heat until onions soften (about 3-5 minutes.) Add rice and toss until well coated in butter, stirring constantly.

Add wine and stir until it is absorbed. Add sausage back to pan and stir.

Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to very low, cover and cook 15-20 minutes until the broth is absorbed and the rice is tender. Stir occasionally.

Remove from heat and stir in cheese and salt and pepper. Serve extra Parmesan cheese alongside for sprinkling on top.


Pin It
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: