RSS

I currently live in Charlotte, NC and after spending 7 years as a personal chef and caterer, I am now happy to share my love of cooking with friends and family. My heart is in the kitchen, but my soul is in the stars!

Overnight Oatmeal


Born and raised in the South, it is imperative that you have good manners.

If you had asked me before I learned my manners whether or not I liked oatmeal, the answer would have been a resounding “NO” met with some unappealing gagging noises and unsavory language. My momma would have quickly reminded me that a simple “No thank you” would suffice for an answer.

Honestly, I can remember eating oatmeal only one time in my life and if I had to tell the truth, it wasn’t half bad –it was just a consistency issue because I typically don’t care for things that are soft and pudding-like. Add to that the fact that I’m not much of a breakfast foods person, don’t like to eat first thing in the morning, and don’t like having to prepare something on the spot when I am ready to eat.
Oatmeal was just a big trifecta of no’s as far as I was concerned.

And then I discovered Overnight Oatmeal while trekking along on my real food journey. All manners aside, this is some seriously good grub and it has become a staple in my morning food routine.

It can be made ahead – several days in advance, the sky is the limit as far as what can be added to it for flavor and consistency, and it’s inexpensive and full-of-protein filling. On mornings that I eat oatmeal I never seem to have hunger pangs before lunch.

Start with a base of oats, milk, and Greek yogurt (I also add chia seeds, but that is optional) then let your imagination run wild with flavors. You can sweeten with a tablespoon of honey or maple syrup. You can add fresh or dried fruits. Have some preserves or applesauce in the fridge that needs to be used? Throw it in too. There is no end to the combinations. Last week I added about ¼ cup applesauce and some chopped apples. This week is a tablespoon each of honey and peanut butter and a scattering of chocolate chips. I love the combination of dried cherries, a tiny splash of almond extract and cherry preserves.


Monica over at The Yummy Life has some excellent step-by-step instructions, FAQs and recipes here and here to get you started, so remember your manners and head on over and check them out!

Overnight Oatmeal
servings = 1

¼ cup rolled oats
1/3 cup milk
¼ cup Greek (or plain) yogurt
1-1/2 teaspoon chia seeds (optional)
Sweetener of your choice (honey, maple syrup)
Add-ins of your choice (fresh or dried fruits, nuts, peanut butter, chocolate chips)

Mix all ingredients well and refrigerate overnight. Give a quick stir before eating.

These can be made several days in advance and kept in the refrigerator.


Pin It
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: