RSS

I currently live in Charlotte, NC and after spending 7 years as a personal chef and caterer, I am now happy to share my love of cooking with friends and family. My heart is in the kitchen, but my soul is in the stars!

Dark Chocolate Brownies + Cherry Buttercream Icing = True Love


Looking for a treat to express your love this Valentine's Day?  Try these Dark Chocolate Cherry Cordial Brownies - they taste like chocolate covered cherries, only way much better.  The frosting alone is sweet enough to land your beloved in the dentist chair for a shiny new filling but the combination of cherries and dark chocolate come together for pure decadence.

These were quick and easy to make -  I pulled them together on a whim for Boy Toy's kids for Valentine's Day and sent them quickly out the door so I wouldn't be tempted by them.  I'll admit to eating a small sliver just for the sake of making sure they weren't poisonous or anything.  I snapped this photo with my phone just as they were being snatched off my kitchen counter, so it's not my best photography work.  When you are preparing the icing, make sure you beat the butter and sugar until it's fluffy before adding the other ingredients.  I was in a hurry and just threw everything into the mixer so the butter ended up separating and making the icing looking clabbered.   I really don't think my young and eager Valentines minded though - or even minded that I didn't have time to drizzle the melted chocolate on top to make them all pretty.

Dark Chocolate Cherry Cordial Brownies
from A Little Bit Crunchy A Little Bit Rock n' Roll 

Printable Recipe
 
For the brownies:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup dark cocoa powder
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
For the frosting:
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
10 ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained & juice reserved
1 tablespoon milk
1 to 2 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease an 8x11 inch pan.

Drain the cherries and coarsely chop them.  Spread them out on paper towels to dry slightly.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, dark cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder.

Melt the butter and pour into a large bowl.  Whisk in the dark chocolate chips until melted.  Whisk in the sugar and then the eggs.  Stir in the dry ingredients.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.  Cool completely.

For the frosting:  beat the butter together with the powdered sugar until fluffy.  Add extracts, milk and maraschino cherry juice until desired consistency is achieved.  Fold in the chopped cherries.

Frost the cooled brownies.  Chill for 30 minutes and then cut into squares.

Melt the remaining 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips and stir in the oil.  Drizzle over the frosted cut brownies. 


Pin It
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: