RSS

I currently live in Charlotte, NC and after spending 7 years as a personal chef and caterer, I am now happy to share my love of cooking with friends and family. My heart is in the kitchen, but my soul is in the stars!

Life's a Beach

After spending a (not nearly) long (enough) weekend at the beach, I now have a craving for all things seafood.  My family rented this gorgeous beach house in Georgetown, SC for a week as a surprise for my grandmother's 80th birthday and we all traveled from near and far to spend some time with her.  We had worked really hard to keep it all a secret so she would think she was going to enjoy a leisurely week at the beach with just my parents, but even at that we worried that maybe she was on to us and was really just pretending she didn't know what awaited her.  I mean, after raising my mother and her three siblings and dealing with the antics of all us grandchildren, she has to be a pretty smart woman.  Needless to say, we pulled one over on her. 



As Boy Toy, his daughter and I headed to Georgetown, we were oblivious to the fact that tropical storm Alberto was swirling around out in the Atlantic and even though we didn't get to do typical beach activities once we got there, we still had a fabulous time.  Check out these awesome photos of our little one enjoying the turbulence of the waves crashing onto the deck of the house. 


Dude, I have a 13-year-old brother...this tropical storm is NOTHING!

She didn't get to go to the beach, so the beach came to her!

The second night we were there, we did an awesome shrimp and crab boil and that just started to whet my appetite but there just wasn't enough time to get my fill of aquatic creatures so my recent menus have featured some sort of seafood. 

Halibut is one of my favorite types of fish to prepare because its flavor is mild and you can dress it up with almost any kind of sauce or topping.  I love this recipe for Halibut with Pineapple Salsa because it's super easy and the jalapenos give it just the right amount of zestiness.  Even better is the fact that this entree can be prepped and ready in about 15 minutes.  The salsa is also great spooned over grilled chicken or you could make it in a larger quantity and scoop it up with tortilla chips as part of a Mexican feast.



Halibut with Pineapple Salsa
Serves 4

1/2 cup dried pineapple, diced
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/4 fresh cilantro, chopped
2 teaspoons jalapeno pepper, minced
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
4 halibut steaks (4 oz each)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Non-stick cooking spray

Combine first 7 ingredients in a bowl and stir well.  Let stand for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Brush fish with 1 teaspoon oil and season with salt and pepper.

Place fish on a grill pan coated with cooking spray and cook about 5 minutes on each side over medium high heat until fish flakes easily with a fork.

Serve with salsa.

Pin It
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: