RSS

I currently live in Charlotte, NC and after spending 7 years as a personal chef and caterer, I am now happy to share my love of cooking with friends and family. My heart is in the kitchen, but my soul is in the stars!

Shrimp in a Snap!


I always have a plethora of shrimp in my freezer, partly because I fall victim to the "Buy Three, Get Two Free" scam advertising at my favorite Harris Teeter grocery store and also because it's so quick and easy to use to prepare a meal in a pinch. It makes no difference that I probably already have 10 pounds of crustaceans in my freezer when that sale rolls around ~ my grocery cart is bellied right up to the seafood counter for more.

I purchase the 16-20 count EZ-Peel frozen shrimp and on those nights that I'm running short on time or I've forgotten to plan for dinner, I can grab a bag and thaw it quickly under cool running water and throw dinner together in a snap (therefore I eat ALOT of shrimp!) The 16-20 are a good substantial size after cooking (it means it takes anywhere from 16 to 20 shrimp to equal a pound), but they are a tad more expensive than the smaller ones.

This meal was pulled together in less than 20 minutes ~ that's less time than you can get in your car and make a run to the fast food drive-thru and much healthier too! I served it over white rice.

Spanish Sherried Shrimp
Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2000

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons chopped fresh -or- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled & deveined
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup medium dry sherry
1 (14.5 oz) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained & chopped
2 teaspoon sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar

Combine flour, thyme, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper in zip-top plastic bag. Add the shrimp; seal and shake well. Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over med-high heat. Add the shrimp, saute 3 minutes. Remove shrimp from pan. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; saute 2 minutes. Add sherry, cook one minute. Add 1/4 tsp salt and tomatoes, cook 4 minutes. Stir in shrimp and vinegar. Yield: 4 servings

Pin It
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

1 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Sounds like a delicious shrimp dish! I'd love to test it out on my family :)