RSS

I currently live in Charlotte, NC and after spending 7 years as a personal chef and caterer, I am now happy to share my love of cooking with friends and family. My heart is in the kitchen, but my soul is in the stars!

A Blown Out Flip-Flop?


Was a blown out flip-flop to blame for Jimmy Buffet's unfortunate fall from the stage in Australia earlier this week? I'm sure some people will claim there's a woman to blame but according to news reports, it was the lighting man's fault.

Like a zillion other Parrotheads, I'm sending well wishes and good karma to the iconic legend for a speedy recovery because it was just this past Saturday that I was logged on to my computer at 10:02am to purchase tickets for Jimmy's April 21 "Welcome to Fin Land" tour stop in Charlotte. My friends, family and I were all logged on and texting each other as to what our wait time was for tickets ~ it was the first time I've ever had to stand in line online for something! After all the "I got them!!" celebratory texts came through, we set about making tailgate plans because the show is exactly one week before this pirate looks at 40 and I have a feeling this may be the tailgate of all tailgates.

Wasting away in all the escapism of Margaritaville made me terribly hungry and since there were no cheeseburgers on hand, I decided this Key Lime Chicken would be just the thing to pay homage to Jimmy Buffet. The recipe originally called for marinating in key lime juice (Joe and Nellie's is an excellent choice), but I find it to be a bit too tart for my tastes. Suit yourself, but either way don't forget to add the brown sugar because it is the perfect balance to the tartness. I've never allowed the chicken to marinate longer than 30-45 minutes because the acid breaks down the chicken fairly quickly and if you let it go too long, it will be mushy.

It's one of the quickest and easiest chicken dishes you'll ever make and leaves you with plenty of time to maybe roll in the sand with a rock 'n' roll man somewhere down Montserrat way!


Key Lime Chicken

Recipe By :Peggy Waller
Serving Size : 4
Categories : Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 each chicken breast half
1/3 cup lime juice (key lime or regular)
2 cloves garlic
1 inch fresh ginger -- 1" piece, grated or minced
2/3 cup flour
salt and pepper
2/3 teaspoon ground ginger
2/3 teaspoon garlic powder
vegetable oil -- for frying
1/3 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Trim fat from chicken and pound to slightly flatten. Place in a bowl; add lime juice, fresh garlic, fresh ginger. Marinate 30 mins to 2 hours (Alison's note: I don't recommend going much longer than 30 minutes). Drain marinade & reserve.

Mix flour, salt & pepper, ground ginger and garlic powder in a bowl. Lightly dredge chicken breasts. Heat oil in skillet and fry chicken breasts until browned on both sides (do not overcook).

Place fried chicken breasts in 9x13 baking pan. Pour chicken broth and reserved marinade around chicken; add some water or more broth if bottom of pan isn't fully covered. Sprinkle brown sugar on chicken breasts.

Bake at 350 for 20-30 mins. Brown sugar will melt to becaome a crunchy topping. Do not let broth mixture totally evaporate; add some water if necessary. If brown sugar looks dry, spoon a little of the pan juices on top of chicken. This will keep in a warm oven about 1 hour without drying out.

Source:
"Culinary Memories of Merridun"

Pin It
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: