RSS

I currently live in Charlotte, NC and after spending 7 years as a personal chef and caterer, I am now happy to share my love of cooking with friends and family. My heart is in the kitchen, but my soul is in the stars!

Let them eat cake!

It's been Party Central around here the last few months with so many of my close friends celebrating monumental birthday milestones, and I am all about finding the perfect cake to commemorate the occasion.   A truly unforgettable themed cake that reflects the personality of the birthday guy or gal always makes the party a hit, and those who secretly wish to forget the fact that another year has lefts its indelible mark on their face are especially thankful for a cake that captures the complete attention of guests.

The party started with this awesome creation for the beloved Greek Goddess.  Those of us who know her well also know about her infinite love of shoes.  "The higher the heel, the closer to God!" she always says.  The Jimmy Choo replica was made by a friend of a friend of a friend named Kathy who lives here in Charlotte.  Kathy is unbelievably talented when it comes to making these realistic looking cakes that taste equally as awesome.

There couldn't have been a cake more perfect for my friend The Girl Watcher unless this vintage bottle had actually been full of Bacardi 8 and these cigars the real McCoy.  And talk about drawing attention to itself!  The guests went totally ga-ga over this creation by Kathy for the longest time before tearing into it and leaving not one evidence of a crumb behind.  On the way to the party, I had the thought that the cake was too beautiful to eat, but in the end it was worth the destruction just to see the delight on the birthday boy's face as he sliced into and served it.



My friend Mary's love of all things chocolate and wine was mirrored in this wine bottle replica nestled in the most unbelievably dense, rich and moist chocolate cake you have ever put into your mouth.  It was a recipe handed down through Kathy's family and even though I know Kathy would never divulge her top secret recipe to me, I so hope she passes it down to someone else in the family because this recipe does not need to be one that goes to the grave with her.  Mary is really lucky there wasn't a piece missing out of her cake because it took every fiber of my being to not sample while the cake was in my care.


I've known Karen (and Mary too, for that matter) since the beginning of time and I needed a cake to induct her into the Forties Hall of Fame.  This cougar-on-the-prowl cake was designed by Teresa's Custom Cakes in my hometown of Erwin, TN and goes a long way, I think, toward helping Karen embrace her cougarness. I tried to be totally tasteful with the cake and celebration choices for my friends knowing that my birthday odometer will soon roll over and possibly leave me vulnerable to the butt of many "Old Maid" jokes. I'm thinking seriously of leaving the country for an extended period of time....


Pin It
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: