RSS

I currently live in Charlotte, NC and after spending 7 years as a personal chef and caterer, I am now happy to share my love of cooking with friends and family. My heart is in the kitchen, but my soul is in the stars!

Just Stuff It!

We've all had one of those Steven Slater kind of days.

The kids are cranky and the spouse is on your last nerve. Traffic is a bitch and making you later than normal. The boss is yelling and the next thing you know you've been hit in the head with a suitcase.

It's enough to make anyone grab a few beers and scoot down the emergency ramp, all the while telling everyone within earshot to go screw themselves. But we really shouldn't say things like "Screw you!" on this blog, now should we? (That's really just a question interjected to show my mother that I try to keep it clean. Hi Mom!)

Who can blame Steven, anyway? Alot of us wish we could quit our jobs in a blaze of glory and develop a huge fan base in support of our defiance. But unfortunately, for most of us it's out of the question to do such a bold thing.

I dedicate today's post to Steven because as I stood looking at a pint of fresh strawberries, I was perplexed as to what to do with them. Bake them into bread? Whirl them into a smoothie? Use them for salad or ice cream makings? I was just too overwhelmed to make a decision and finally I just said to myself, "Oh, screw it...just stuff 'em!"

There's no real recipe here folks ~ I just pulled the emergency chute and hoped I'd land on my feet when I whipped up a block of softened cream cheese with about a 1/2 cup of confectioner's sugar (more or less to get the consistency to squeeze through a decorator tube and have it hold it's shape) and about 2 tablespoons of orange liqueur. Cut the stem from the top of the berries so they sit flat and with a small pairing knife, cut an "X" in the bottom of the berry, taking care not to cut all the way through. Gently open the berry and pipe the cream cheese mixture inside. You may like to garnish with some finely shaved chocolate, whereas I did not because these were going to be out in the heat for a bit and I didn't want them to have a total meltdown as opposed to the "small meltdown" that Slater's mother described. The next time someone asks me for an idea of what to do with fresh strawberries, I'm going to tell them to fix 'em Slater style!

If you really want to crack up, check out this reenactment of Slater's ordeal from the Chinese viewpoint.

Pin It
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: