RSS

I currently live in Charlotte, NC and after spending 7 years as a personal chef and caterer, I am now happy to share my love of cooking with friends and family. My heart is in the kitchen, but my soul is in the stars!

Happily Dying of Chocolate

I was going to start this post out by saying how divine it would be to plunge to my death into a vat of melted chocolate, but a quick internet search of the phrase "death by chocolate" shows that it has, in fact, happened that way for someone and it wasn't a pleasant experience at all.

So instead, I'll just stick to talking about this uber-decadent flourless chocolate cake that my friends and I served as the grand finale at our cocktail and dinner pairing. We served it with the equally indulgent Coffee Margarita and all of our guests needed to be wheeled out to their car because we had rendered them unable to walk for themselves with the awesome menu. It was probably as close as they could come to dying by chocolate without actually, well, dying.

After the initial test run, it was determined that the cake held up and tasted much better when served chilled. And don't say that I didn't warn you to cut it into very small pieces ~ one 10" cake served over 20 people. If you don't heed my warning, make sure you have emergency personnel on stand-by and I'll be the first person to say, "I told you so!" because that's just what kind of person I am.

DEATH BY CHOCOLATE CAKE
 
Cake:

12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli)
4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
1 1/2 cups butter, melted
1 3/4 cups white sugar
1/2 cup water
7 eggs

Fudge topping:

12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate (again, I used Ghiradelli or Godiva works well too)
1/2 stick of butter
1/4 cup of Kayro syrup
3 tlb of water


Note: Using good chocolate such as Ghiradelli or Godiva and real butter (not margarine) makes a HUGE difference in taste. Don’t scrimp on the ingredients, you will be disappointed.

Directions for cake:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 10 inch round cheesecake pan and line bottom with parchment paper.

2. Chop chocolate squares and place in a large bowl with 12 ounces chocolate chips. Add melted butter. Heat water and 1 1/2 cups sugar in a saucepan until boiling, and then pour over chocolate. Stir until smooth.

3. In separate bowls, separate the egg whites and yokes and whip separately until both bowls have become thick and creamy. Take the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and evenly distribute between the two bowls as you are mixing. Once the yolks are thick and creamy and the whites are at soft peaks, combine both of them and then add to the chocolate mixture.

4. Fold into chocolate mixture. Pour batter into 10 inch pan.

5. Place 10 inch pan in a “water bath” like you would for a cheesecake.

6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool for 1 hour; then refrigerate for several hours.

7. After cake has been refrigerated for 3 to 4 hours, you can add fudge topping. First take the side of the cake pan off, then put a plate on top of cake and flip; then remove parchment paper. Then add your fudge topping allowing fudge to drip off the top onto the sides. Clean up the bottom of your plate as you go along to keep it looking good! (You must do this before it cools, as it gets hard & thick like fudge)

Directions for topping:

1. Melt butter, Kayro syrup and water in saucepan. Bring to soft boil.
2. Add chocolate chips after butter has melted.

Do not let it burn, turn to low heat while mixing in chocolate chips.
Once you take it off heat, keep stirring so it won’t harden, then pour onto cake.

Pin It
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

2 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

This looks incredible!!! I am going to put this into my pile of recipes to try. Thanks for sharing~~~

Terri said...

I would love to make this, but I'd have to give it away immediately!