RSS

I currently live in Charlotte, NC and after spending 7 years as a personal chef and caterer, I am now happy to share my love of cooking with friends and family. My heart is in the kitchen, but my soul is in the stars!

Easy Like Sunday Morning


It rained on Saturday. Non-stop. All day.

Little bitty stingin' rain and big ol' fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways. And sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath {insert your best Forrest Gump impersonation here}.

And so I spent the day running errands in the rain. UGH! My hair was wet and unruly with curls. My socks and shoes made squishy sounds when I walked.

But come Sunday morning, it was worth it. Oh yeah, baby, was it ever!

One of my errands took me by a bakery that I've been wanting to check out called Breadsmith.
Freshly baked loaves of rustic bread nestled in little cubby holes lined the walls. I browsed, nonchalantly, but couldn't concentrate. I couldn't shake that "I'm dizzy with love" feeling. It was the smell of those cinnamon rolls, dang it! I hurriedly grabbed a loaf of Italian bread for dinner. I had to get out of there before I fell victim to their marketing ploy of wafting delicious aromas. Oh wait! Is that cinnamon swirl bread? A loaf of that please. OH! OH! Cherry brioche! I must have one.

And then I ran. Right straight out the door. And into the rain. And purged my lungs of that cinnamon roll goodness. It's a good thing the picture of my bounty turned out decent because that cherry brioche met its fate just as soon as the shutter clicked on the camera. I laid waste to most of the Italian bread with my dinner of mussels in spicy marinara sauce.

And the best part came on Sunday morning. I sliced into the cinnamon swirl loaf with the intentions of making cinnamon toast. But it was destined to become more. It deserved more. And so it became french toast. Thinly sliced, cooked until crispy and drizzled with honey and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. And a shake of powdered sugar. Just the way I like it.

After breakfast came the even better part. I crawled back into bed, snuggled down under my warm covers with sweet little Jesse James and waited for the rain to give way to the 6" of snow that eventually came and blanketed us.

Eat, go back to bed, and enjoy!


Cinnamon Swirl French Toast
serves 4

8 slices cinnamon swirl bread, sliced thin
4 TBLS butter
1 TBLS vanilla
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup milk

Whip the beaten eggs, milk, vanilla, and spices until well blended.

Dip each piece of cinnamon bread into the batter mixture, let it sit for a minute or so while you melt the butter on your griddle or non-stick fry pan.

Cook both sides of the toast until golden brown {I like to press it with my spatula to make it nice and thin}.

Serve immediately with a drizzle of honey, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and a sprinkle of powdered sugar.

Pin It
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: