RSS

I currently live in Charlotte, NC and after spending 7 years as a personal chef and caterer, I am now happy to share my love of cooking with friends and family. My heart is in the kitchen, but my soul is in the stars!

Kill 'em with kindness.....




...and creamed corn.

When I was younger, I had a bit of a bad temper. My friends would always joke that it was typical of a fiery redhead to be so temperamental, but in retrospect I think my frequent flare ups were mostly due to immaturity and the inability to understand that this too shall pass. I've always been taught to "kill people with kindness" but sometimes that philosophy is hard to follow. There once was a period in my life where I spent a good part of my time being constantly angry at someone and one day I woke up {metaphorically speaking} and decided that I would no longer waste my time and energy on such negative feelings and I attempted to control my anger and work on the kindness part. Through the years, my hair has gotten gray darker, I've learned not to sweat the small stuff, and my temper has mellowed just a bit. But only a bit......

Instead of stewing in anger and misery for days on end and cradling my grief, my modus operandi these days is to blow up like a 50 cent firecracker, walk off and be done with it while everyone in my path is dealing with the fallout. I yell. And I do it thoroughly. And then I move on. Such was the case this week when someone, who shall remain nameless {but if you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you'll know exactly who I'm referring to} and his new friend, stirred up a hornet's nest. I reacted in typical fashion by going straight for their jugular veins and showed no mercy until I'd said my peace. And then, I put a smile on my face, picked up the phone and invited my friend S. over for dinner.

My friend S. used to live in the general area of my hometown and we were talking about our favorite restaurants around town when S. happened to mention he liked a now defunct restaurant called Skoby's. They were best known for their 21 foot salad bar and their creamed corn, and when they decided to close their doors they were kind enough to publish the recipe for the corn in the local newspaper because they'd had so many requests for it. During its time, it was THE place to eat for a special occasion or if you were SOMEBODY you ate there on a regular basis. I only ate there once many years ago - I had gotten a nice promotion at work and my then-boyfriend took me there to celebrate.

I decided to pay no more mind to the foolishness that happened earlier in the day and bestow kindness upon my friend S. by designing a menu around the beloved creamed corn. I'm not sure if it was as good as he remembered but since he nearly licked the plate clean, I'm thinking I evoked some mighty fine memories!


* Exported from MasterCook *

Skoby's Corn

Recipe By :Skoby's Restaurant
Serving Size : 4
Categories : Vegetables and Side Dishes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/8 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups half and half
16 ounces whole kernel corn, frozen
2 tablespoons butter

Thaw corn. Melt butter in a small saute pan. Add flour and mix well to make a smooth consistency. Heat half and half in a 2-quart saucepan. Add pepper, salt, and sugar. Bring to a boil; gradually whisk in the flour mixture. Stir continuously until a sauce consistency is achieved. Stir in corn until evenly distributed. Portion into individual ramekins or a casserole dish. Top with seasoned breadcrumbs and brown under the broiler.

Pin It
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

1 comments:

Becky said...

Alison, I like the new look of your blog!