RSS

I currently live in Charlotte, NC and after spending 7 years as a personal chef and caterer, I am now happy to share my love of cooking with friends and family. My heart is in the kitchen, but my soul is in the stars!

This Little Piggy


Even though I have about 5 pages of entree choices on my catering menu, I find the majority of people are suspicious about food they aren't necessarily familiar with. Tending instead to stick with their favorites even though they've eaten it a thousand times before. There's certainly nothing wrong with that but I, on the other hand, have redundancy issues and tire easily of the same ole', same ole'. Tire of eating it myself and tire of preparing it for others. But alas, being in the catering business isn't all about what I want to eat. Such a shame too, because I have good taste!

So I love it when out of the box thinkers commission me for a catering job as was the case this week. The group of 17 from Louisiana was driving up to Hot Springs to spend a week on a houseboat on Lake Ouachita. Their entree selections included this yet-to-be-discovered-by-the-masses Pork Tenderloin with Blackberry Mustard Sauce that sits on page 3 of my menu all lonely and gathering dust. I was thrilled when I saw the order. So thrilled, in fact, that I prepared an extra loin for myself because sometimes it is most definitely about what I want to eat!

The recipe originally hailed from Cooking Light, but I tweaked the marinating and cooking techniques just a bit. So c'mon folks....live a little and break out of the box!


* Exported from MasterCook *

Pork Tenderloins with Blackberry Mustard Sauce

Serving Size : 6
Categories : Pork

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup blackberry mustard -- recipe below
3 cups chicken broth -- divided
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme -- minced & divided
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cloves garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 pork tenderloins
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
3/4 cup blackberries
Blackberry Mustard:
1 cup blackberries -- fresh or frozen
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons hot dijon mustard
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon dry mustard

Prepare blackberry mustard by putting all mustard ingredients in a food processor & mix well. Set aside.

Combine 2 cups chicken broth, 1/2 tsp fresh thyme and next 6 ingred; stir well. Trim fat from pork and marinate overnight. Remove pork from marinade; reserve liquid.

Add oil to skillet and place over medium high until hot. Add pork; cook 4 mins or until browned on all sides. Remove pork to a baking dish and pour about 1 cup of reserved marinade into dish. Preheat oven to 400 and bake tenderloins about 20-25 minutes or until thermometer registers 120. Remove tenderloins and let stand for about 10 minutes before slicing.

Add remaining 1 cup chicken broth to deglaze pan. Bring to a boil; cook 5 mins or until reduced to 1/2 cup. Strain mixture; discard solids.

Place cornstarch in a small saucepan; gradually add water, blending with a wire whisk. Stir in strained mixture, brown sugar and 1/4 cup blackberry mustard. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook, stirring constantly, 1 min. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1 tsp minced thyme.

Cut pork into 1/2" thick slices. Spoon sauce evenly onto 6 serving plates, and arrange pork evenly on top of sauce. Top servings evenly with blackberries.

Source:
"Inspired by Cooking Light 5 Star Recipes"

Pin It
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: