RSS

I currently live in Charlotte, NC and after spending 7 years as a personal chef and caterer, I am now happy to share my love of cooking with friends and family. My heart is in the kitchen, but my soul is in the stars!

Simplicity. Sopranos Style.

We've all played the game of favoritism at one point or another. A favorite restaurant. Your favorite shirt. Or, dare we even admit...a favorite child or grandchild.

My all-time favorites can be summed up quite simply....anything Italian. Italian food. Italian wine. Italian men. Ooops! Did I say that out loud? So it stands to reason that the Sopranos was my favorite TV show. My TV life as I knew it was over when the final episode aired last year. I even went so far as to have HBO taken off my cable package. Nothing will ever compare. It was a Sunday night ritual to prepare an Italian feast and sit down in front of the tube for a good dose of Mafioso suspense. So it should come as no surprise that the Sopranos Family Cookbook sits on my shelf among my plethora of cookbooks. Feeling a little nostalgic, I decided it was time to play homage to my favorite TV show of all time. "Zuppa di Cozze" translates to mean Mussels in Spicy Tomato Sauce. Simple to prepare. Simply delicious. Go make it now. Capisce?!

Mussels in Spicy Tomato Sauce

Serving Size : 8
Categories : Seafood

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 lbs. mussels (or substitute small clams)
4 garlic cloves - finely chopped, plus one whole garlic clove
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 pinch red crushed pepper
1/3 cup olive oil
1 cup dry white wine
3 lbs. ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped (or two 28oz-35oz cans Italian peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped)
1 pinch salt
8 slices Italian Bread - thinly cut, toasted

Place the mussels in cold water, covered for 30 minutes. Drain and scrub them with a stiff brush. Scrape any barnacles or seaweed off.
Discard any mussels with cracked shells or that do not shut tightly when tapped. Remove beards by pulling them toward the narrow end of the shells.
In a large saucepan, cook the chopped garlic, parsley, and pepper in the oil over low hear until the garlic is golden, about 1 minute.
Stir in the wine and bring to a simmer. Add the tomatoes and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
Gently stir the mussels. Cover the pot. Cook until the mussels open, 5 to 10 minutes. Discard any that refuse to open.
Rub the toast with the garlic cloves - serve with the mussels.

Source:
"The Sopranos Family Cookbook"

Pin It
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: