RSS

I currently live in Charlotte, NC and after spending 7 years as a personal chef and caterer, I am now happy to share my love of cooking with friends and family. My heart is in the kitchen, but my soul is in the stars!

Cookies for Santa



'Twas the week before Christmas and all through the kitchen, this baker was wondering which cookie would best tempt jolly ole Saint Nick. Okay, that doesn't even come close to rhyming but who cares? Everyone who believes in Santa knows his weakness for sweets so I felt it was my duty to make sure he's not disappointed when he comes to my house this year - that is, assuming he does come to my house. I haven't exactly been a good girl this year :)

I had a few days to myself this week and decided to get my holiday baking underway. At the rate that I've been baking, there's no way Santa could possibly eat all of these cookies before Valentine's Day! I decided to try a few new recipes that I've had in my file for quite some time in addition to the old family favorites that appear on Santa's plate every year. This is only a sampling of the items that I've made so far. I figured even Santa's sweet tooth needs a break so I'll split my accomplishments up into two different posts. I hope some of these cookies wind up on Santa's plate at your house this year!

My favorite so far has been these molasses cookies that are said to be from the Silver Palate cookbook. If you like gingersnaps, you'll love these. Instead of being hard like a gingersnap, they're soft and I used a small scoop to portion them and they baked up perfectly round. Unless Santa comes early this year, I'm afraid he won't be getting any of these because I've almost demolished the whole batch myself (see what I mean about not being a good girl?)

Molasses Cookies

1 1/2 sticks butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Preheat oven to 350.

Melt butter, add sugar and molasses, and mix thoroughly. Lightly beat egg and add to butter mixture; blend well.
 
Sift flour with spices, salt and baking soda, and add to first mixture; mix. Batter will be wet.

Lay a sheet of foil on a cookie sheet (I used parchment paper). Drop tablespoons of cookie batter on foil, leaving 3 inches between the cookies. They will spread during baking.

Bake until cookies start to darken, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven while still soft. Let cool on foil.

Pin It
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: