RSS

I currently live in Charlotte, NC and after spending 7 years as a personal chef and caterer, I am now happy to share my love of cooking with friends and family. My heart is in the kitchen, but my soul is in the stars!

Food and Family


It is with a heavy heart that I blog tonight. Just last week, as I was preparing to leave New York, I received the news about the passing of my grandfather. It was devastating news and even a week later, I still find myself unable to sleep, not eating well and moody. I've had no desire to return to the kitchen just yet, so I appreciate your patience during my absence.

Food and family....the two were always a huge presence in my life. The two went together like milk and cookies and peanut butter and jelly. When I thumb through photographs of family events, a lot of times we were gathered around the table. In my bio on the website, I speak of my deep rooted appreciation of food and of my family. They are synonymous. Our family table will never be the same. We will never celebrate with food without missing the presence of our beloved family member.

I am so fortunate to have fond memories of my grandfather. The time we all went to New York and had bagels for breakfast. He didn't eat his but instead felt it was more suitable to be used as lawnmower tire. When I was little, my great-grandmother would treat me with fig newton cookies each time I visited her. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I didn't like them, so instead I gave them to my grandfather to eat. My last meal with him was not so long ago. I went home for a much needed visit and he and I enjoyed a nice lunch with my mother and grandmother at the Olive Garden. I often wonder if I had known at the time that it would be the last time that I did something, would I do anything differently? Had I known that it would be my last meal with him, I would have stretched it out to last an eternity.

I love and miss you, Papaw and I will return to the kitchen soon and continue to make you proud with my accomplishments.

Pin It
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to hear about your loss. It sounds like you have so many wonderful memories. Hang in there!! My prayers are with you and your family right now.

Caribbean Dreamer said...

Thank you Cathy. The memories and the knowledge that he is in a much better place helps to get through it. I'll be back in the kitchen soon!

Desperately Seeking Gina said...

So sorry for your loss, Alison.

Gina

Fran said...

I am so very sorry. I grew up being very close to my "Poppy"--he was from Arkansas. Grandfathers are special. Savor yuor memories.

Fran said...

I am so very sorry. I grew up being very close to my "Poppy"--he was from Arkansas. Grandfathers are special. Savor your memories.