RSS

I currently live in Charlotte, NC and after spending 7 years as a personal chef and caterer, I am now happy to share my love of cooking with friends and family. My heart is in the kitchen, but my soul is in the stars!

I scream, you scream


Well, you know the rest of the story. I ditched work early yesterday to deal with the remaining plums lurking in my laundry room. I managed to squeeze 3 more batches of jam out of the bucket. The original question was what to do with 10 gallons of plums...now the question is what to do with the 40 jars of plum jam. I'm sending a couple of jars to my grandparents and saving some for my parents, took 4 jars to work to share with my staff, and of course one of the jars will hopefully become a blue ribbon winner at the county fair in August. I'm sure Captain Sturm will be asking for buttermilk biscuits for our weekend breakfasts to eat with his fair share of the jam. I've never really been one to eat alot of jam (now is a fine time to figure that out, huh?) but I couldn't resist trying my ruby colored bounty. I heated a couple of spoonsful in the microwave and topped some vanilla ice cream. I think I'll be partaking in some of those buttermilk biscuits with Captain Sturm.

I had about 2 cups of cooked fruit left after making the jam. I got the bright idea to make plum ice cream. I have a nifty little ice cream maker that produces soft-serve consistency ice cream in about 30 minutes. I've always only used it to make strawberry ice cream. It's called a Donvier and has a cylinder that you freeze overnight. I've had the thing for about 15 years - I don't even know if they still make anything like it.



I refrigerated my cooked plums overnight. The ice cream seems to come together much better if everything is chilled really well. The recipe is simple - beat 2 eggs and 2/3 cup of sugar until thick and creamy. Add 1/2 tsp. vanilla, 2 cups of fruit, and 2 cups of heavy cream. Pour everything into the frozen cylinder and turn the handle 3 or 4 times every 10 minutes or so. I like my ice cream a little firmer, so I stuck the whole thing in the freezer for some extra time. I'm sure it's ready to be taste-tested now, but to be completely honest, I'm plum tired of plums! I did sneak a spoonful (or three) of it before plunking it into the freezer and I must say it's pretty darn tasty. I detected just a slight hint of bitterness, so maybe next time I'd strain the fruit and remove the hulls. I'll re-evaluate it tomorrow after it's had a chance to chill out.

Even after all of this, I STILL had plums left! Just enough, though, for one more project but you'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out about it. I just know the suspense is killin' ya!!

Pin It
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: